Posted: July 16, 2018
Pilsen Alliance Community Organizer Summary
Pilsen Alliance is a grassroots community organization with 20 years of advocacy work in the Pilsen community and across the Chicagoland area. This community organizing position does not require formal training but it does require some organizing experience and passion for social justice advocacy work. The Community Organizer reports directly to the Executive Director and must fulfill other duties as assigned by him.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Community Outreach
● Lead door to door, one-on-one, and community meetings
● Regularly interact and attend meetings with community partners
● Maintain strong relationships with volunteers, interns, and youth leaders
● Develop strong relationships with other community organizers in Pilsen and throughout Chicago
● Ensure that Pilsen residents are inform and knowledge about PA campaigns and events.
● Represent PA at educational panels, conferences and other events that pertain to PA’s strategic goals and mission
● Practice effective time management to maintain work-plans and meet campaign goals and objectives
● Assist with developing effective strategies for advancing our strategic goals and vision for our community.
● Contribute to PA’s youth led initiatives and youth leadership development programs
● Conduct strategic research that involves community members and youth
● Develop presentations and interactive workshops
● Write bilingual press releases and fliers, organize and participate in public relations events
● Keep accurate records of community outreach, volunteer mentorship, leadership development and campaign advancements
● Maintain well-organized notes and data files
● Provide regular contributions to PA’s social media platforms
● Assist with the tracking, assessment, and evaluation of PA programs and events through monthly reports
4. Organizational Development
● Participate in all organizational retreats
● Contribute to the efforts of at least one PA working committee
● Participate in PA Fundraisers
● Identify fundraising opportunities
● Facilitate staff meetings and trainings as needed
● Must have at least two years of community organizing experience organizing.
● Must be able to speak/ and or write in English and in Spanish
● Must have good writing and public speaking skills
● Must be able to travel locally.
● Must be flexible and able to work evenings and weekends as needed
● Must be able to work well with others
● Be able to work with multiple commitments and deadlines
● Must have commitment to social justice and have an acute racial and equity lens, and
● Demonstrate critical analysis and be able to connect to Intersectionality and holistic community development
Benefits 1. Compensation/Salary: Depending on experience. This position is a part-time exempt position 2. Duration: This position will be maintained through the designated time period for a period of 6 months at which point PA may exercise to continue the period of employment
Application Deadline: Friday, July 27th To Apply: Send the following information to (moymoreno.pilsenalliance@
● One-page cover letter
● Names, phone numbers and email addresses of three references
Pilsen Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, People of Color, LGBTQIA, Transgender, and/or Low-income people, as well as people with disabilities, are encouraged to apply.